Running this summer? High fives to you, mama. Bootcamping? Way to go. Running around a playground for 3 hours? Awesome. Scrambling around for daycare drop-off and missing breakfast? We got you covered. Whatever stresses you’re putting your body through, you’ve got to put good stuff in — protein, carbohydrate, and fat — to refuel. Because if mommy goes down, the whole ship goes down. Are we right?
We know a lot of our clients reach for a smoothie or shake in the morning or for a quick meal on the go. Breakfast — between making coffee, changing diapers, and sweeping cheerios off the floor — can be a challenge. We also know that squeezing in that 30-60 minutes to jog, walk, or hit a fitness class each day is time enough to carve out of a busy mommy’s schedule without adding exercise nutrition to that time-crunched equation.
So when you need something quick to replenish carbohydrates, plus provide protein and fat to feed your muscles and nervous system — that means your sleep-deprived mommy brain — consider this shake recipe. Whether it’s morning, after sleeping (and therefore fasting) since the night before, post-workout, on the go, or a combination of these situations, a shake can be your best friend. OK, wine is your best friend. We know. This shake can be first runner up.
HERE’S A MASTER RECIPE TO BUILD YOUR OWN UNIQUE SHAKE COMBOS.
- 1 thickening fruit such as banana, mango, avocado (1/2 – 1 cup)
- 1 additional fruit such as cherries, berries, pineapple (optional, 1/2 cup)
- 1 fat such as nut butter, avocado, coconut oil (1-2 tbsp)
- 1-2 powerhouse add-ins such as ground flax seeds, chia seeds, cottage cheese, protein powder, yogurt, spinach, kale, or hemp.
- 1 liquid such as water or almond milk (1-2 cups)
- flavour enhancers such as cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and ice to blend.
Choose serving sizes from these ranges based on your body size and type, how active you are and whether the shake is a meal replacement or just a hearty snack.
Now here’s a go-to combo you can even feed the little people when you run out of cheerios. It’s a great family breakfast or afternoon snack, in smaller portions. We guarantee it will fill you up, keep you full and leave you with no artificial sweetener aftertaste or chalky cottonmouth like a protein powder might.
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA PROTEIN SHAKE
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup natural (no sugar) almond milk or coconut milk
Combine in a blender and whirl until totally smooth.
Drink up! This shake contains about 20 grams of protein — no un-food/powder required.