Keep them for yourself or give them as a gift to a new mama in your life! These delicious “lactation cookies” are packed with nutrients to support breastfeeding. Did we mention there’s chocolate?…
BB trainer Tricia Braun contributed this recipe — a fave from her journey as a mother and one of her go-to gifts for her new mama friends. She says:
When I had my second baby my girlfriend made a habit of showing up at my house with a cookie drop off. Weekly. She was part-evil and part-exactly what I needed. I was having a really tough time adjusting to life with 2 under 2. My midwife noticed the signs of postpartum depression and got me the help I needed. That saved me for sure. The other thing that saved me was the weekly cookie drop off.
Now, I am not saying that cookies are the answer to depression. But when they come attached to a girlfriend with a hug and an ear to listen they certainly helped to make my week a little bit brighter. And goodness knows we mamas need all the help we can get in those early days.
Now, I have another friend who has had her second baby. I am paying forward the generosity by getting back into my kitchen. I made a batch of these lactation cookies for my girlfriend right before her due date and a second batch a couple of weeks later.
We got to keep a few for ourselves and everyone here was blown away by how good a “lactation cookie” can taste. It is essentially an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with brewers yeast (to facilitate lactation) and healthy fats and fibre. The B vitamins in brewers yeast are essential in pregnancy and postpartum — so even if you’re not concerned about milk supply, this cookie recipe is a great treat for all mamas and mamas-to-be.
My husband has yet to lactate but I think they are helping me almost a year into breastfeeding my little guy. Who knows? If I can make another friend as happy as my friend made me, then the lactation comes second to the cookie.
Make them for a girlfriend and enjoy over tea while the babies are sleeping. Or make them for yourself!
Packed with nutrients & a delicious treat with tea…the perfect gift for a new mama (or yourself)!
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, yeast, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or with a hand mixer, cream together the butter and coconut oil until creamy. Add the sugar and continue to beat 5 minutes, until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and almonds until combined.
- Using a mini ice cream scoop or 1 tablespoon measure, scoop the dough onto a silpat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
* Use an ice cream scoop to get the batter on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet, and they will turn out all the same same size and Instagram-ready!