How many vitamins can you pack in one bowl of soup? ALL OF THEM. This sweet potato, yellow pepper, & lentil soup is so packed with antioxidants we think your doctor should write you a prescription. As if that weren’t reason enough to make it, we guarantee it’s velvety smooth, scrumptious and kid-approved. Convinced? Did we mention it comes together in about a half hour?
Soup is often a cold-weather food, but we think soup should be an all-weather food! Why? Soup — particularly pureed soups like this delicious, velvety concoction — can pack a serious veggie vitamin and fibre punch without the chunks that might turn off the little peeps (or you, if you’re trying to add some new veggies to your usual repertoire). Not to mention that the water content of soup helps fill up your belly with fewer calories, making soup a perfect figure-friendly main, appetizer, or side dish.
The curry in this soup gives a warming mouth-feel without too much spice. You can add your own sriracha or chili flakes, as we do, to the adult bowls while keeping the shared pot mild for everyone. The main ingredient in curry powder, turmeric, is a proven anti-inflammatory agent that helps prevent everything from joint pain to cancer. Add to that vitamin-rich yellow bell pepper and sweet potato, and lentils packed with heart-healthy fibre…you can’t go wrong.
Probably, you could live on this soup. We don’t recommend it, but if you make a go of it, be sure to tag us on Instagram and Twitter. 😉
Serve with a hearty side salad or a fave sandwich or wrap. This soup also makes a fantastic baby or toddler food.
CURRY SWEET POTATO, PEPPER, & LENTIL SOUP
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup green or red lentils, rinsed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 large apple peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3″ piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1.5 L vegetable stock or water (substitute chicken stock if preferred)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- sea salt & pepper
- chili flakes & fresh cilantro, chopped, to garnish (if desired)
1. Place large saucepan over medium heat; add curry powder and coriander, and toast 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add coconut oil and combine, stirring.
2. Add onion, garlic, apple, and ginger, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add sweet potatoes, stock or water, and lentils; bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, about 20-30 minutes until very soft.
4. Add bell pepper and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
5. Puree with an immersion blender until very smooth. Season, top with chili flakes and cilantro, if using, and serve hot.