It’s just a fact: everything tastes better with bruschetta. OK, except maybe chocolate ice cream. Seriously, try adding this classic, refreshing tomato-basil bruschetta to grilled chicken, steak, or fish, or add it to tacos, wraps, and even scrambled eggs. This recipe is fast, delish, and guilt-free!
Summer is the perfect time to keep a batch of bruschetta on the go; tomatoes are in season and basil is an urban gardener’s (or windowsill gardener’s) best friend… it grows like a weed and loves the sun.
With a few simple ingredients, this bruschetta is full of antioxidants and tummy-loving garlic and onion, making it a health powerhouse, even a tablespoon at a time. Dig in!
yields 2 cups
- 4-5 ripe roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (hot house tomatoes will work just as well)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- large handful basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
1. To chop basil, roll leaves together to form a cylinder and slice thinly. 2. To seed tomatoes, slice each tomato lengthwise in half and use a teaspoon to gently remove seeds (this helps keep the bruschetta mixture from becoming too runny, especially when refrigerated for later use). 3. Combine all ingredients and season well. That’s it!