You’re going to love this easy, family-style meal. Save this recipe and you’ve got a new fave weeknight meal to throw into the rotation this spring!
When we’re encouraging our little people to build a healthful, low-stress relationship with food, one of the best strategies I’ve learned from my Registered Dietitian pals is: serve meals deconstructed + family-style!
My friends (and former BB mamas, BTW!) Jay Baum and Nishta Saxena talk about this all the time on their super helpful IG feeds and blogs, all about feeding yourselves & your little people well.
Breaking the components down and letting each family member – yes, even toddlers – choose their own adventure can lead to less mealtime stress.
So this recipe is taco fun – with make-your-own components served family-style – but one-bowl convenient. Because, while I like a taco here and there, they’re SO MESSY and that irks my type A side.
These bowls have all the flavour and toppings but can be eaten in front of a movie. Pandemic win! Since when are you not watching TV these days???
BTW: If you love tacos in the shell, try these Turkey Lentil Tacos – they’re a fave with our BB mamas and in our house, too!
Make them #plantbased with TVP “beef” or use ground turkey, pork or beef – or even a can of black beans fried up quickly with the spices below! Yum.
✌️Super versatile and adaptable to whatever you’ve got around.
Kid-Friendly Plant-Based Taco Bowls
1 lb plant based “ground meat” or meat of choice
2 tsp each: child powder, cumin, smoked paprika
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ cups basmati rice
2 small bell peppers, chopped
2-3 small tomatoes, chopped
2-3 avocados, pitted & scooped
2-3 scallions, chopped
large handful cilantro, finely chopped
½ cup frozen corn
1 lime, zested
½ cup sour cream
1 cup cheese, grated
salt & pepper
- Cook rice according to directions & set aside.
- Combine sour cream + lime zest in a small dish. Season with S&P.
- Juice lime & combine with avocado flesh in a medium bowl. Grate in ½ – 1 clove garlic + add 2-3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro. Taste & season.**
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium-high. Add meat; sauté until browned. Add spices & saute 1-2 more minutes. Add a splash of water or ketchup to make it “saucy” if desired. (Ketchup = tomato paste, vinegar, sugar & salt – a perfect sauce addition in a pinch!) Remove from pan & set aside.
- Combine peppers & garlic in same pan. Add oil if needed. Sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Add frozen corn; saute another 3-4 minutes. Add rice back to pan. Sauté until rice crisps a bit.***
- Add green onions and S&P to rice. Serve rice with tomatoes, cilantro, meat, lime crema, guac + grated cheese.
** optional: skip guacamole & serve avocado cubed, plain, with lime wedges for squeezing.
*** optional: remove veggies to a bowl and serve alongside rice if fussy eaters might reject rice mixed with veggies!